Wednesday, March 13, 2013

DIY: Boring Door To "YOU ARE AWESOME" Mirror With Cardboard Frame!

We wanted to have a huge mirror in the hallway so we can check our outfit before heading out without having to walk in shoes in our bedroom (where we already have two huuuge mirrors but what can I say, we're girls:))

I just LOVE this "You are awesome" headline and the crown. Doesn't it make you feel just like a queen?:)





See the mirror in the mirror? This is another DIY that I will post soon:)

So, here comes the tutorial.

1. I bought three mirrors (40x40 cm),  took of the door (all by myself!), placed the mirrors on it and marked the right possition.



2. I took a big old cardboard box, cut it into stripes and placed two layers of stripes around the mirrors. The cardboard box had a very nice surface, as you can see in the picture. I did not glue the mirror at this point!



3. I draw the crown, printed out the headline and transferred it to another piece of cardboard.



4. Then I glued the cardboard frame on the door, using a special mirror glue.



5. Now comes the trick to make the cardboard disappear. I covered the frame with toilet paper and a paste made of wood glue mixed with a little bit of water. Once everything is dry, the glue makes the cardboard very stiff, almost like plastic. I love this technique and use it all the time for years.



6. This is how it looks when it is dry. Now I painted the frame using ordinary acrylic paint.



7. The most important step: I covered the painted frame with a coat of wood glue (no water added). It is transparent when it dries. Now the frame is waterproof!



8. The frame is done. Next I glued the mirrors using mirror glue. I found on YouTube that this is the right way to apply the glue.



9. This is how everything looked at this point:



 10. Now I had to paint the door around the frame. First thing: sand the door.


11. Next, I protected the floor and all the metal pieces.


12. And finally, I painted the door in white. It took two coats and a lot of patience. I had to wait for hours between the two coats because the first one had to dry.


13. Finally, I set up the door to its place. Done!


Once again, I am in love with this mirror! :)



Love,
Emina Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Divno izgleda!!! Mene uvijek zanima gdje ti nabavljaš sve te svoje materijale, pa i ljepila :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala:) Materijali su zaista najosnovniji. Ljepilo za drvo (Drvofix), ljepilo za ogledalo, ogledalo, akrilne boje, boja za drvo - sve sam to kupila u Penny-u u Sarajevu. Ali to se moze naci u svakoj prodavnici gradjevinskog materijala i slicne opreme (FIS, OBI itd.)

      Sto se tice onih bobica i ostale opreme za nakit, to sam kupila u inostranstvu i to strasno jeftino. Ne znam gdje se to moze nabaviti kod nas. Ali ce me svakako zanimati kad potrosim zalihe:)

      Delete