Monday, November 17, 2014

Recipe: Emina's Birthday Cake with White Chocolate Shards and Pomegranate Seeds


Dear readers,


I love to make a fuss over my birthday and start annoying everyone about it a week in advance:) I also love surprises, I love to make surprises and to be surprised. As for the latter, I can't be thankful enough for the great people I'm surrounded with and who made this year's birthday special. You already read about the surprise birthday breakfast that Nerma, our brother, and my best friend prepared for me.

Nonetheless, I could not skip my annual tradition to make a special cake for the occasion. Do you still remember my last year's birthday cake? This year I surprised my colleagues at work with this beauty.




Although not visible at first sight, this is the simple tipple chocolate mouse cake that we have already made several times and that everyone loves. You have already seen it here (our Gossip Girl Cake) and here (our New Year's Eve Cake). 


Without further complicating the cake recipe, we recommend you to watch the video instructions from the cooking blog Dulce Delight. The girl behind the blog is so cute and her sweet recipes are just amazing.  

I have, however, added one alternation. In addition to the three layers of chocolate mousse, I added a crunchy crust.



For the crunchy crust you will need 250 g cookies and 50 g melted butter.

First of all, preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius. Crumble the cookies with you hands leaving bigger crumbles. Pour in the melted butter and mix the mixture with your hands until moist. Pour the mixture into a cake form and press with your hands into the cake form. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, take it out of the oven and let cool. When it has cooled down, pour over the three layers of chocolate mousse and leave it in the fridge for a few hours.



The most fun part was the decorating of course. This was the first time I made chocolate shards and I can confirm that they are super easy to make. I used this video instructions.

You should prepare the shards BEFORE you make the cake!

First I cut two stripes of baking paper so that the length corresponds to the circumference of the cake form and the with to the height of the cake form. 

Then I melted around 300 g of white chocolate as explained in the video and applied it to the baking paper as you can see in the picture below. I let it set for 15 minutes and then put over the second stripe of baking paper. I then rolled it and left it in the fridge until it was cool and solid. Finally, I unwrapped the roll. Voila!

After I made the cake, I left some of the white cream aside and used it as a "glue" for the chocolate shards.


The final step was to cover the top layer with fresh pomegranate seeds. I washed and then left the seeds to dry on a kitchen towel before I covered the cake.


The inevitable final touch was this little birthday cake flag that I made while waiting for thr cake to cool down in the fridge:)







Love,
Emina Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment