Sunday, October 26, 2014

DIY: The Perfect Wedding Gift - Stitch their Wedding Song and Date

 Dear readers,

The first girlfriend in our little group of girls hanging out since University got married recently. It was a big event for all of us and I wanted to give the happy couple a little handmade something: I stitched the title of their wedding song and the wedding date. I hope it will help the groom not to forget their anniversary in the future:)





The gift was the perfect excuse to finally start experimenting with stitching. I was planning on getting myself an embroidery hoop (in Bosnian: Djerdjef) for months and now I finally had the motivation.

I learned some basic stitching techniques back in primary school and for my first stitching project I just used the simple basic "backstitch" and added some improvisations.

Here comes the complete tutorial including preparing the stitching for framing:


1. It all starts with drawing the image. I wanted to frame the stitching with a standard 10cm x 15cm frame which is why I draw my image within a rectangle in this size. 

2. The next step is to transfer the image to fabric. I found this great idea: 




3. Once the image is transferred to the fabric and the fabric is in the embroidery hoop, it is time to start stitching. At this point I still wasn't sure which colors to use so I just started with a dark color and planned to use brighter colors as highlights. 



4. For this stitching I used the backstitch technique. Here is a great YouTube video which explains the stitch in detail.



When I was done, I thought there was something missing so I added an extra accent to the letters.



Then came the highlights in two shades of red.



And this is how it looked like when it was done.



5. Now we have to prepare the stitching for framing.



This is just a piece of cardboard sized 10cm x 15cm.







I went  out of white embroidery floss so I finished it up with a yellowish thread. Who cares, it will not be visible anyway:)



And voila, it is ready for a pretty frame:) Now you can just frame it like a photograph.



I really think this is a great idea for a very special gift. Think of all the possibilities. You can frame someone's favorite song, a quote or just a word or phrase that is meaningful to you and that person. OK, you don't even have to stitch it, just print it out. What are you waiting for?:)


Love,
Emina 



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment