Saturday, January 18, 2014

DIY: Handmade Brooch (Old Necklace Recycled)

I'm so excited to share with you my first handmade brooch ever! 

The best part about it is that I managed to recycle a very old necklace which used to be my favorite piece of jewelry back in high school. I knew I would never wear it again but there were so many memories connected to it and I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. I am so happy I didn't!

I must apologize for the bad picture quality but the pics where taken at night with my cell-phone. I tried to make the best of it. Anyway, I hope this fact will not distract you and that the pictures are comprehensive enough. Now scroll down to see the rest:)





It all started with the old necklace. I saw potential in some parts of it so I decided to take it apart.


And suddenly there it was: so much new jewelry material! I decided to take one of the big stones for my brooch. The rest will have to wait for new projects.


The basis was a piece of black felt. I took out all the beads and fashion stones that I have collected over the time and tried out different designs.


Once  I had an overall idea of the design, I started with sewing beads around the big stone from my old necklace.


And then silver-colored. I made the next circle with smaller red beads. You can see the first red bead in this picture.


Then I spontaneously changed my initial idea and added these fashion stones.


Then I though, why not add a bit of blue beads?


When I though I was almost done, I felt there was something missing. So I just kept adding new fashion stones (here comes a particularly bad picture):)


Then I rounded the fashion stones with tiny little black beads and added some large green beads for extra accent.


Here comes the technical part. I cut the excess fabric off and sewed a piece of felt on the back of the brooch.


Finally, I sewed a pin on the back.

I just finished it last night and I can't wait to wear it:) What do you say? Do you like it?



Love,
Emina Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment